Summer road trips are trending this season with domestic travel on the rise — 14 million more vacations were taken within the U.S. last year compared to international trips. Road trips represented 39 percent of those vacations taken by U.S. travelers — way up from 22 percent a couple years back. Today’s road trippers are loving the freedom to pack whatever they want, stop wherever they want, and have cell service along the way to post on social media. Can’t live without selfies!
Florida’s stunning coastlines and crisp spring weather make the Sunshine State a fabulous place to hit the road (convertible rental anyone?) for Summer Road Trips. Because spas are especially important when on the road – massages are essential for getting out the kinks from driving – I have gathered the top resorts with the best spa along Florida’s coasts, from the Gulf of Mexico’s barrier islands to the shores of South Beach and beyond to create the perfect summer road trip for you!
Stanton South Beach // South Beach, Fla.
- Where on the map? South Florida… South Beach Baby!
- The Property: Yes, Stanton South Beach is in South Beach, but to be more specific, it’s in theSouth a Fifth district of South Beach. Makes a big difference as “SoFi” is a less-crowded, more exclusive area that feels like a gated paradise compared to its more touristy northern neighbors. As one of the only hotels located along Ocean Drive with direct beach access, Stanton South Beach makes the ideal home base for road trippers considering the more exclusive neighborhood allows for quieter nights to catch up on sleep after long nights on the road…. yet you’re still within walking distance from all the bars and nightclubs if you choose to hit the town. Best of both worlds! Plus, Stanton just renovated all 224 rooms, opened a new spa and fitness center, and launched two new restaurants including Lolo’s Surf Cantina for fresh Mexican and Azabu Miami Beach for authentic, high-end Japanese sushi and Robata cuisine.
- Instagrammable Road Trip Moment:Touristy or not, Ocean Drive is still Ocean Drive. Take the car for a spin down this iconic stretch and snap a pic with palm trees in the background – a classic!
- Added Perks: Save up to 20 percent with the “More is Less” offer when booking before April 15, 2018. Valid through December 20, 2018. Use promo code D3Q when booking at stantonsobe.com.
W Fort Lauderdale // Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Where on the map? South East Florida
- The Property: Fresh off a $55 million renovation, every corner of W Fort Lauderdale was glamorously restyled, including all 517 guest rooms, suites, and residential suites, rooftop pool and bar, Living Room and more – can you say worth a summer road trip?!?!? At this oceanfront masterpiece, guests can fuel their morning with beach yoga and then soak in the sun on WET Deck, the art-deco inspired rooftop pool and bar. With plush new loungers, live DJs on the weekends and never-ending views of bustling Fort Lauderdale Beach, there’s no better way to soak in the rays of the South Florida sun than at this rooftop hotspot. Have a little down time? Stroll the beach via the hotel’s bicycles, or unwind with a massage at Bliss Spa. When it’s time to live it up, head down to the refreshed Living Room and enjoy its new lineup of nightly themed entertainment and drink specials, followed by dinner at the award-winning Steak 954 – your taste buds will thank you!
- Instagrammable Road Trip Moment: Take a dip and strike an underwater pose – at no other W hotel will you find transparent pool walls, perfectly lending itself to your next Summer Road Trip Instagram masterpiece.
- Added Perks: Book three nights and get the fourth night free with the hotel’s Sunsational Savings package. The offer also includes a $100 resort credit, and room upgrade based on availability. Use code ZS4 when booking at wfortlauderdalehotel.com.
The Resort at Longboat Key Club // Longboat Key, Fla.
- Where on the map? Barrier Island off Florida’s Gulf Coast
- The Property: The only AAA Four Diamond beachfront resort in Sarasota County,The Resort at Longboat Key Club is located along the pristine beaches of the Longboat Key barrier island — but it’s not just about the beach here. As a luxury retreat known for fitness and wellness, road trippers who need to stretch their legs (and then some) have plenty of active options with golf, tennis, the Ocean Spa and 10+ daily fitness classes offered on property (think: sunrise beach yoga or tai chi in the new Labyrinth Garden). There are also six restaurants and lounges located on property so you really don’t ever have to leave… the car could use a break anyway.
- Instagrammable Summer Road Trip Moment: Often referred to as “Florida’s Other Keys,” the barrier islands of Sarasota are connected by quaint coastal bridges including one leading to Longboat Key that is worth an Insta pic. You’ll capture yachts and mansions along stunning blue waters… and if you time it right, sunset shades of orange, red and blue sky will serve as the backdrop.
Added Perks: Longboat is offering “Spring Bling Savings” with 20 percent off plus daily breakfast for two. Must book offer by May 31 and valid for stays through July 31, 2018. Use code OPALSAVE when booking at www.longboatkeyclub.com.